Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Happy 4th

First of all, hope everyone had a fun 4th of July and that many things where blown to smitherings in my honor. Next year I will celebrate a 4th of July to make up for the last 2 I've missed. Anyways, hope it was a good one for everyone. We celebrated by going to the pensionista of one of the Elders from my group in our zone and making hamburgers and hot dogs, and finishing it off with some brownies and some peach cobbler. Not a bad day!! 

Things are going well with President Johnson. He is super excited to work hard and we have been working our butts off with him these last few weeks. We had interviews with all the missionaries in Arequipa this week, as well as MLC. There were a few days this week where we kind of hobbled home and after planning for the next day just kind of collapsed in bed and passed out until the next day. I dont think I have ever been so tired, but I love it. I think I might be going home on a stretcher. President and Sister Johnson look pretty tired too. But they are troopers and are just plugging along. I think they are really enjoying being mission presidents. He interviewed me yesterday and it was really cool. Since becoming a zone leader, I really havent had an interview with my mission president. Pres. Zobrist would just kind of look at me and ask, "is everything ok? any sins to confess? No? Alright, keep up the good work." In his defense, has his assistant I spent more one on one time with him than probably any other missionary in the mission, but still, it meant a lot to me that President Johnson took the time to interview Elder Blanco and me. 

This next week we are hitting the road. We go to Pedregal on Wednesday, Camana on Thursday, and then we are going to Mollendo on Friday and coming back that same day. More interviews. Should be another busy week, but one we are excited for. We need to make sure every last second of the day we are working hard. And it's interesting, the other day I was thinking and thought to myself, "man, I really want to just be in an area where I can work the whole day, not have to worry about leadership responsibilities, nothing like that, just work." I actually started to get kind of frustrated. But then, the thought came to mind, "are you willing to sacrifice what you want for what I want?" I guess it was kind of a wake up call that this isnt really about me, but about learning to do what He wants me to do. We are working in a very different way, but we are still doing what we are supposed to be doing. 

Leslie and Arturo are doing pretty well. Their aunt died this week, and they were pretty bummed out, but then Arturo had a dream where he saw Isabel (the aunt) dressed in white calling him by name, saying, "Arturo, I'm ok." Then she went through a while curtain and her family was there to greet her on the other side of the curtain. There were a few people there that Arturo didnt recognize, but after describing them to his wife, she was able to identify them as Isabel's grandparents and great-grandparents. It was a really cool dream and they were able to find comfort in knowing that she is ok. It's interesting, because Isabel and all of those family members who he saw with her were members of the church. I hope we can help them just realize that they need to get baptized!!!! 

Anyways, that was our week. Hope everyone is doing well, have a good one!

Elder Matheson 



No comments:

Post a Comment