Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 10


Alright, here it goes! I just finished week 10 (10!!!!) of my mission! Times is starting to fly, and I know I haven't even got to the point where time flies yet haha. My training is coming along pretty well I think, but I keep having this reoccuring feeling that when my training ends Dec. 14 I'm going to be a trainer for a gringo who knows absolutely no Spanish. Which frightens me, but has really motivated me to study the language even harder. I'm trying to read the BoM in spanish right now, and It's coming along pretty well, I can understand pretty well what I read and I've found I actually get more out of it because I have to try really hard to understand every word, so I'm already coming across things I've never noticed before. Interesting stuff! So anyway, this week has been one of highs and lows, the high being wednesday, the low being thursday. On wednesday, my comp and i went and got to priests from our ward that are preparing for missions and took them out with us. We went on splits and went to different parts of our area to contact to try and find new investigators to teach. So it was just me and this kid named Samuel running around Arequipa trying to talk to people. It actually went pretty well! We found some people and made appointments to come back and teach them later. We ended up having 10 lessons with members present in one day, which is actually the weekly goal for the mission. That night we had a lesson with one of our investigators named Miriam, who is 14 and is the sister of a less active that we teach with her. We invited her to be baptized and she is going to pray about it, but she's ready, I know it! The next day was pretty awful. We had no success. Which was pretty ironic because that day we fasted as a mission to have success haha. Every single appt we had fell through, all of our backup plans fell through, and everyone we tried to talk to was not interested at all. At one point we sat down on a rock in the middle of the street and tried calling just about everyone in our contacts to find someone to teach, and nothing. It was awful. My comp actually said it was the worst day of his mission. 

We've been trying to work on our family history a little bit, and need some help! Mom, can you send me some stories from our family history? We have these little booklets called MY Family that we need to fill out, and basically it has stuff we need to fill out for every grandparent and great grandparent. And stuff like birthdays and full names of all their siblings too. If you could help me out with that, that would be awesome! 

So we went running the other day, and my comp ended up hurting his knee. He's doing a little better now, but yesterday we couldn't leave the appartement. As far as what happens on P-days, we do all sorts of stuff. We went to the Plaza de Armas one week, last week we went to these waterfalls (pictures to come) and today we're going to make food and play bored games in the Stake center. Our ward is interesting, and nobody shows up on time. Nobody can play the piano either, so I'm trying to practice a little bit so i can play some hymns in sacrament meeting. It's a lot different than anything in the States haha. 

Anyways, that was my week this week. I dont think i have any pictures inside the appartment, but i'll see what i can do for next week. Love you all, thanks for everything!

Elder Matheson





No comments:

Post a Comment